Every now and then we see our pups begging for a bite to eat. It can be hard not to give in and give them some table scraps. However, some of the food that you are giving them could potentially be harmful to them. So what foods can you give them? Continue reading to learn more about food that is safe for dogs.
Food Safe For Dogs
Fruits can provide your dog with a wide variety of vitamins that can benefit them. However, not all fruits are safe for dogs to consume. Next time your pup wants a piece of fruit, aim to get them a little bit of these:
- Apples: Apples are a great food that is safe for dogs. It contains nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin C, and fiber. It is important to note that apples are safe in moderation for dogs and to never feed them the stem, core, or seeds.
- Banana: As with apples, Bananas are safe for dogs to eat as long as it is in moderation. They contain the A and C vitamins along with a great source of potassium.
- Watermelon: Watermelon is safe to eat for dogs, as long as you are only letting your dog eat the flesh of the watermelon as the seeds and rind can cause problems.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are great because they provide dogs with many nutrients. These include vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K. They are also very rich in fiber and antioxidants.
To humans, vegetables offer many vital nutrients that help keep us healthy. For Dogs, who are carnivores and eat mostly meats, vegetables are not necessary but they can provide extra vitamins and minerals. Try these as a snack for the next time your pooch is hungry:
- Carrots: Carrots are great for dogs to eat because they can help in many ways. They can improve the condition of your dog’s coat and skin, along with benefiting their eyesight too.
- Potato: When cooked and served plain, potatoes are safe for dogs to consume. You should also only feed your dog potatoes if they are baked or boiled.
- Cucumber: Cucumbers are a great low-calorie snack that also comes with fiber. If you are going to feed some to your pup you need to peel and dice them into bite-size pieces.
- Peas: Peas are one of the healthiest human foods and they can benefit your pup in many ways. Dogs can eat almost all kinds of peas as well. The only kind that you should steer clear of is the canned peas as they contain added sodium.
There are also many other kinds of food that are safe for dogs. Next time you are snacking on these you don’t have to worry if your dog wants a snack too.
- Peanut Butter: Not only is peanut butter good for dogs but hey love it as well. Try to find low-sodium peanut butter or make some yourself at home.
- Cheese: Low-sodium, low-fat cheese is best for dogs. However, you need to know that cheese should be given to your dog in moderation.
- Popcorn: If you plan to give your dog some popcorn there are a few things you need to do. You need to make sure that the popcorn is air-popped and is un-buttered and un-salted.
- Meats: Chicken, turkey, and lean ground beef are all excellent food options to give to your pet. Just make sure that the meat is fully cooked and avoid fatty meats.
There are many different foods that are safe for dogs to consume. Make sure that you follow special precautions so that your pet can stay healthy.
Be sure to check out one of our previous articles on Things Your Cat Should Not Eat.